Saturday, July 15, 2017

Vacuum sensor

We got our vacuum sensor today.  The MAP sensor from a 1.8T VW can output analog for both pressure and vacuum.  This one came off the top of an intercooler.  Voltage output seems to go from 0.33 to 4.5V.  0.33-1.94V is vacuum.  We will read this into the DMOC controller and hopefully it can output a CAN code to the dashboard for an idiot light.

Friday, July 14, 2017

Charger cables

I have the Brusa NLG513 charger, but the charging cable that came with it has the wrong connector on it.

I have the J1772 to the charger.

I need the upper connector with the male pins.

This is the cable that came with the charger, but it obviously has the wrong end on it.  Anyone have the right cable for sale or willing to swap?

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Rear battery box out for review

We have stumbled on the design of the rear battery box for almost a year now.  The configuration has not changed much in that time, just overall size nudges.




The plan is to slide the 6 modules into place and place threaded rods through the pack to hold them in place clamped.  The bus bars can then be installed on them with two wire leads protruding for connection to the 20 pack or the main output relay.  The two 10 packs are on the original Leaf plates and will have the bus bars applied to them again with a couple of leads extending.  The two packs will then be lowered into the box, secured with threaded rods, and the wiring connections completed.  A 5/8" plexiglass plate will be secured and sealed to the opening above the 20 pack.  The entire pack will be flipped upside down with the threaded rods now protruding from the top it will be lifted/the car may be lowered onto it with the rods passing through the floor pan for securing to the pack to the frame.  An independent skid plate will then be installed under the pack for debris protection.

We could use a little help figuring out the best wiring pattern.  I have tried to upload both an excel worksheet we have been using to visualize the wiring in both xlsx and csv format.  They are plain sheets there should be no macros in them.  Anyone know how to upload them here?

This is the rear battery pack for the golf.  There are 26 modules in the pack, 4 stacks of 5, and 3 stacks of 2 as shown in the 3D images.  Note that the shorter stack is inline with the lowest rows in the 5 stacks.  Physical arrangement is FINAL, no moving modules...Each of the 3 boxes represents a connection on each battery module.  The middle connection is for sensing and may not be used for a power connection.  The outer connections represent + and -.  The entire set of 26 must be connected in series, + - + - +-......  Due to space constraints the outer gray set of connections should not be end points for the entire pack or transition to the 6 pack, but should route up or down in the rows of the 20 pack using flat bus bars as shown in the front box pictures.



Suggestions please.

The winning suggestion
This pattern looks like the best option.  It will allow the sections deeper in the box to be pre-connected leaving only one connection to make near the top of the box between the 6 pack and the left 10 pack.  This arrangement requires 13 long bus bar connections.  The original leaf pack only had 10.  So we are short 3.  It is simple enough to make the bus bars, but we would also like to reuse the Leaf orange safety housings like we did on the front boxes.  Anyone in the U.S. have some spare leaf protective covers we may use?

UPDATED:

Requires fewer long bus bars, and therefore we have enough parts.





Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Rear battery box scans and progress up front.

It took 3 days to for the scanning computer to crunch numbers.  It did not come anywhere close.  We did figure out that the save all scans button hand scrolled off screen, and we were able to save the 88 scans.  After almost two weeks of stitching scans together by hand, this is what we have.


You can see that we were able to get three larger sections completed in the scanner tool software.  The software loaded everything to memory, our 32 GB of memory was right at the edge and the system could not handle all three sections at once.  All the group scans were "fused" and then exported to .obj files that ProE could import.  Alignment in ProE is very difficult.  I am not convinced this effort will yield any usable results as we note many misaligned edges that appear to be out of place by 6 -10 mm.

In the mean time we also worked on the front batteries.  First thing, install a hoist...  We were given a free sling track usually used to hoist patients from a chair into a bath.  Rated at more than 500# and with 5' of travel this took an extra day to install, but we did not need to lift the completed pack.





Reaching up to install the bolts that tie the pack down to the frame.
This pack slid back to the other and was also bolted in.  The original Leaf wiring and bus bars were used.  The large orange loom at the right goes to the Leaf BMS.  The short orange is for the heaters one at the front of the packs and one at the rear.  The black loom is for the temp sensors.