Monday, March 13, 2017

Front battery boxes in the build process finally

I got some feedback on the previous blog.  It was decided that the stresses in the weld would be marginal.  We also did a few more assembly studies and could not decide if the boxes would be able to slide in to the vehicle.  THEREFORE, a slight adjustment and a few more runs on the analysis has yielded:




The changes include taller tubes, 1"->1.5" on the horizontal sections.  The 45° center section, this reduced the stress on the lower side of the section from when it was 90° degrees, and further allowed the battery box more room to slide into the rear section.  The front I-Beam connection also changed from welding to the center webbing to sitting on the beam, this significantly changed the area of loading for the better and will further aid the insertion of the DMOC into the bay under the hood.

All around a marginally more difficult design to cut and weld, but the safety factor went up to 2.7 at yield and 3.7 to ultimate on a 3-2-1 loading.  I don't see us applying a million pothole cycles while turning at speed and applying full brakes.   Then again, we use Windsor road almost every day...

Material has been ordered!!!!  We might actually get something done over Spring Break!


 The boxes each hold 11 modules for 22 in the front.  We have reconfigured the Leaf cell connections in the retainer, next step, figure out the order to put the pins back in the connector for the BMS:



We have two identical pieces like the one above.  The missing connections in the corners are where we will attach between the packs.


Sunday, February 12, 2017

More on the battery box calculations

We have been doing some structural calculations.
The boxes each have 11 modules @ 8lbs ea.  therefore ~110 lb per battery box
The DMOC645 is ~ 60lb
Therefore ~300lb for the system.
We have looked online and consulted others with our best standard maximum loading guess as:
3g V+ 2g Lat + 1g Long
2g Lat + 2g brake on 20% grade  We live more than 50miles from ANY grade therefore we are not worried about the 2g down 20% grade...But it was surprising to us that the brakes do not exert more than a 1g load at full capability.
The frame will be made from A36 steel:
minimum yield strength of 36,000 psi (250 MPa)
ultimate tensile strength of 58,000–80,000 psi (400–550 MPa).
Based on these numbers we will design daily usage to  3-2-1.  Our safety factor will therefore be 1.8 to failure and likely due to impact of some sort.
EVERYONE likes pretty pictures:  The frame was designed in CREO 2, cleaned in OnShapeCad, and analyzed in SimScale.  The tubes are hollow 0.065" thick and 1" square.  The I-beam is 3"x2" and the smallest we can get but cheaper than C-Channel and Square tube of the same modulus.  The mesh is quad and tet.

1g Vertical Stress Field

1g Vertical Displacement Field
Nothing to see here, load is well under the 250MPa yield stress.

Unfortunately the scale is in black and does not show.  I set the max to 250MPA.  The max displacement is 2mm in the 3g loads.














Interesting only until you look at the actual value of the red section.  The displacement is a fraction of a millimeter.  The system does not react symmetrically because the area where the near tube connects to the right plate is in front of the exhaust tunnel and therefore not supported as rigidly.  I did do a check on the system where I fixed the tunnel area and the system did behave symmetrically.



3g Vertical, 2g Lateral, 1g Long. Stress Field

3g Vertical, 2g Lateral, 1g Long. Displacement Field

5g Vertical, 5g Lateral, 5g Long. Stress Field




































From the analysis, there will be local yielding under a 5g load, but the maximum tensile strength will not be exceeded.  A crash would likely apply more than 5g to the system, but then significant other deformation of the frame has occurred at that point too.


5g Vertical, 5g Lateral, 5g Long. Displacement Field

My hand calculations are on the same order of magnitude, SO please point out my errors if you see them.

  The thickness of the rear plate was 0.25", I have rerun the results, there are not surprises.  I will run a 0.125" plate instead.

NEXT STEP ORDER MATERIAL!

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Battery boxes have slowed us way down.

We are currently working to ensure the I-beam and square tubes will be sufficient to hold the batteries, DMOC and other electronics.  ~300 pounds
Ortho view driver's side
Driver's side
Top view