Thursday, December 7, 2017

No, We did not give up.


Car work did not stop entirely, I believe we left you at taking scans of the undercarriage so we could make the rear battery box.

David Scanner System
 We did finish scanning, and found the results to be within  6mm of accurate.  Close enough that we were confident our battery box dimensions would fit in the car.  We think the system would have worked MUCH better if we had been able to put the car on a lift and get the camera several feet away from the undercarriage instead of 8 inches.  In the end it took almost two weeks to stitch all the images together but if the distance to the camera had been several feet the system would have likely stitched itself.

Fuel Tank Bay
Note all the stars we added to the bay to help the computer and use manually align the images.

Battery Box installed
We made the battery box and got it up into the bay.  SEE it fits with zero clearance, but no "adjustment" was needed either.

Battery Box installed
The 4x4's will be replaced by the original battery box rails off of the Nissan Leaf battery pack. Since our pack is distributed front and rear the load here will be significantly less, so structural failure is less of a concern.

Battery Box from above
OK, the box did not quite fit.  The two corners stick up through the floor about 20mm.  A modified rear seat pan will be put in and the rear seat will be fully functional when we are done.

We have spent quite a bit of time looking at how we want to pass the wires in and out of the battery box.  Originally we were going to install multiple bulkhead pin connections, after much discussion, and a visit to see a friends Mini project, we have decided to use flexible conduit and really long pigtails running all the way up to the front of the car.  This reduces the number of pin crimps and connections by over 200 and hopefully increases reliability of the rear pack substantially.

No comments:

Post a Comment