Monday, June 6, 2016

General Update

We worked on the battery and Motor this week.

We disassembled the Leaf battery pack into its major components.  The rear pack will go under the rear seats of the VW, the other two packs will go in the engine compartment.  Only the power connections are shown, there are many more wires not shown that connect to the Battery Management System (BMS).  The battery pack was obviously built in a modular fashion, and the wiring connectors were very well placed for our needs.  We did not need to disassemble any part of the actual packs so all the safety shielding in still intact and we hope to keep them as is in the new configuration.  We will create some long "jumper" connections from the front pack connectors to the rear BMS connector so we will not need to actually change any of the pack wiring.  Hurrah!







BMS, note the 5 multi-pin connectors bringing in voltage readings from each pair of cells in the entire pack, 96 pairs.  We have a few cables to build up to bring the data from the front of the car back to the BMS or vice versa...
The rear pack came out very easily, the + and - power connections, and two heater plate connectors.
The rear pack, 24 modules, 48 pairs, 96 cells.  MUCH heavier than it looks, we used their lift points and lifted it like a deer but with a 2x4.  Two of us could get it airborne, but it took four of us to be able to maneuver it.

Main disconnect.
Underside of main disconnect, note the huge fuse.  And yes, we played it chicken, note the rubber glove and only one hand in the pack at a time.
Under the main disconnect we found the heater relay.

Labeled Panasonic are the + and - main disconnect relays.  Between them are the pre-charge resistor and relay under it.
Wolftronix programmed our DMOC 645 (AZD), his DMOC adapter (black box to left) and we confirmed that everything works once you remember to disable the charger interlock safety circuit (prevents you from driving away while plugged in).

IT'S ALIVE!
A Big thanks to Wolftronix.

All the modules are plastic wrapped.  Next step is to measure the packs more closely, and the area under the rear seats to create a battery box.

Creation of the motor/tranny adapter plate is in progress.  There was a concern that the front bearing in this motor needed to share lube with the transmission, but the data I have found suggests that the previous version did require lube, this version should be a sealed unit with a 5 year, 20k hour maintenance interval.  for us 20k hours is 30 plus years...





1 comment:

  1. Very interesting work, good to see you making good progress.

    ReplyDelete